Bulk Items and Yard Waste
For a printable version of these guidelines, click here.
Each household paying a trash fee is entitled to free pick-up of one bulk item per week. To schedule pick-up, call Republic Services at 800-425-0095 or submit the online form at least 48 hours before your scheduled collection day. Put the item curbside with your trash. Accepted items include the following:
- Carpet (one roll cut into 3’ lengths, rolled, and tied)
- Copiers and printers (more than 40 lbs.)
- Couches, loveseats, or other furniture
- Exercise machines
- Gas and electric stoves
- Lawnmowers and snow blowers (remove gas and oil)
- Lumber (one bundle, 3’ lengths, not to exceed 50 lbs.)
- Mattresses and boxsprings
- Metal filing cabinets and desks
- Refrigerators and freezers (remove doors)
- Toilets and sinks (not bathtubs)
- Trash compactors
- TVs and computer monitors
- Washers and dryers
- Water coolers and heaters
- Window air conditioners
- All other large metal items
For your convenience, the Recycle Depot also accepts propane and helium tanks, appliances, and electronics for free or a small fee. See the Recycle Depot pamphlet for more information.
Call a private, licensed hauler for the following:
- Automotive parts
- Boilers and furnaces
- Construction and demolition debris, including bathtubs, kitchen cabinets, pipes, sawdust, soot, and sheetrock (check regulations for materials contractors are required to remove)
- Tree stumps, rocks, soil, dirt, and sand
- Property clean-outs
- Leaves, grass, plants, twigs, and tree and shrub prunings not more than 4 inches wide and 4 feet long are considered yard waste.
- Call a private, licensed hauler for tree stumps, rocks, soil, dirt, and sand.
- Place yard waste in paper (NOT plastic) leaf bags without tape or staples or loose in a 32-gallon barrel with a Yard Waste sticker.There is no limit on the number of bags or barrels you may put out.
- Yard waste stickers are available free of charge at the Recycle Depot (300 Oak Hill Way) or in the DPW Office on the 3rd floor of City Hall.
- Bundle twigs, sticks, and prunings (not to exceed 35 lbs. per bundle).
- Put out bundles, bags, or barrel curbside with your trash; be sure the Yard Waste sticker(s) faces the street.
- Yard waste mixed with trash in plastic bags, including green “Brockton” bags, will not be collected.